Tena koe/ korua /koutou – Mika

In Maori culture, formal greetings like "Tēnā Koe" (to one person), "Tēnā Kōrua" (to two people), and "Tēnā Koutou" (to three or more people) are used instead of the casual "Kia ora." When writing, use "Tēnā Koe/Kōrua/Koutou" for formality and "Kia Ora" for informality. To end a message, use "He Mihi" (to one person) or "Ngā mihi" (to multiple people) as a sign of respect.

I think this greeting is different from Japan. In Japan, greetings do not change based on the number of people you are addressing. Anyway, if you have the opportunity, please try to use it correctly.


 




Comments

  1. It is interesting there are different expressions depending on the number of people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That' so interesting. From now on, I will not sat to everyone Kiaora, but Tena koe, kuorua or kouto instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this word is useful! Give it a try for sure!!!

      Delete
  3. I find it difficult to use this word correctly because of the variation by number of people. We need practice:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know that word changes because of number of people, but I want to change Japanese greeting too!!!!!!!!!! Oha koe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that happens, I think it will become even cooler!!! whakawhetai koe:)

      Delete
  5. If I meet you, I'll use these words you tought us!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so interesting, but it seems difficult to use this word in essay :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct! But I think you can do it smoothly!

      Delete
  7. When we created our Mihi in our class, we said "Tena koutou" so many times lol
    So, I strongly remember this word! I want to be able to use different words depending on my situation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember this word! Tēnā koutou, tēnā koutou, tēnā koutou katoa!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We learned it in Sonya's class! You can use it effortlessly:)

      Delete
  9. I think so too! With practice, we'll eventually become able to use it!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Sound That Affects Me -- Kazuki Hashimoto

The strongest animal in the animal world ---Haruka Ikegami--

Alternative Medicine? -- Brian (Chulgyu) Ku